I don’t know about you, but a big part of celebrating Christmas is giving gifts. We’re bombarded, aren’t we, with messages encouraging us to buy, buy, buy. So how exactly does giving gifts connect to Christmas? Well, in two key ways… One is because Christmas, at its core, is about gift giving. God, giving His son, Jesus. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son…” And Magi, in response, bringing gifts to the Christ child as an act of worship and gratitude. God gave and the Magi responded by giving.
Too often, however, we seem to get this gift giving mixed up don’t we? The focus becomes more about us giving and receiving gifts with one another, and God somehow takes a back seat. So this Christmas, may we follow the lead of the Magi and give generously in response to God’s greatest gift—Jesus Christ!
Here are a few coupons I’m giving you that you can redeem in 2016…
- Peace on Earth…Good will to all! Redeem for one month of peace on earth.
- Fear Not! Redeem for a day with freedom from all fears.
- Keeping the Sabbath Holy Redeem for a day of rest.
- Do Not Hinder the Little Children Redeem for a bunch of hugs from children who need some love.
- Do unto Others as You Would Have Them Do unto You Redeem for an act of kindness to a person of your choice–even someone you may not particularly like.
Christ is born! God, in the flesh, dwells among us!
— Ed Fenstermacher, Associate Director of Church Development